2022.7.1 UPDATE: ‘Left Foot, Right Foot,…’


I have had a frustrating week.  I wrote a special UPDATE about it, so, if you missed that, it is directly below this one on the TMD BLOG page.  In spite of the set-backs, I have managed to make some progress in other areas.  Hit the READ MORE button and I’ll share the details.


I am going to pour three test molds this afternoon — to see if I can find a way to make the bad rubber I have work.  Maybe excess catalyst will do the trick?  We’ll see.

The mold I poured Monday finally cured enough to make resin casts.  I posted pictures of the test castings on the TMD Facebook Page.


As I write this, Friday, July 1, there are two very large orders in house.  They both came in over the last 12-18 hours.  I emailed both customers and explained why their orders will be a little slow to ship.  That said, please, do not hesitate to order — that is, if I can help your modeling needs in any way.  If I can get through July, things should get better in August (that is, if the past is still a reliable guide).


Until I figure out what is going on with the rubber, there will be no new products.  In fact, there won’t even be any new replacement molds.  I will not lose masters or production blanks to bad rubber.


At the moment, the M-18 OVM tools are under rubber that refuses to cure.  Unless and until I can get them out, I am faced with having to re-master the tools all over again.


I tried to call Karl today, but he did not answer his cell phone.  I’ll see if I can catch him later and edit this update to reflect our chat,


The shop is in much better shape now.  I took advantage of the forced down time to make the mold and casting blank storage boxes I have been needing to make.  Then I started putting all the lose casting blanks away in their proper boxes.  If I can just get the molds put away by Monday, the shop will be in the best shape it has ever been in — ever!


I have a replacement monitor for the one I broke when I cleaned up the office a couple weeks ago.  I still need to install it and get a few last things done in the office side.  I also need to tidy up the master bench a bit, but it is still in good shape.  The ‘lounge’ is where I need to do the most house keeping.  I hope Dave Hobbs will be visiting next week, so I will endeavor to get this done before his visit.


Honestly, I am frustrated and tired — tired in a way that sleep doesn’t cure.  However, I am not defeated.  I will get through this and things will get better.  Until then, I just need to keep my head down and repeat: “Left foot, Right foot, Left foot,…”  Military types will understand 😉


Anyway, that’s all I have for everyone this week.  Until next time, you stay safe and try to build something (preferably something using TMD resin).


Leave a Reply